TEDxFD 2018: Call for Artists
Calling All Emerging Artists
What is your Notion of a Nation? What form would you choose to express yourself to millions of people around the world? These questions are exactly what the TEDxFulbrightDublin will explore with an emerging, local artist.
What is the TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 Artist Programme?
TEDxFulbrightDublin will supplement the costs of time and materials for an emerging local artist to create two visual art installations that will be displayed at the TEDxFulbrightDublin event at the Tivoli Theatre Dublin on 9 September, but will remain the artist’s property.
The pieces will be installed in the Marquee area of the venue where the c.500 person audience will engage and interact, as well as on the TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 stage. Stage installations will be showcased on TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 videos after the event, talks from our previous events have been selected as TEDx editors pick of the week, and promoted to the TED.com site receiving over 1.2 million views.
Applying for the TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 Artist Programme
The application process is now open with a deadline of 30 July 2018. The theme of the event is Notion of a Nation. All types of visual art will be considered and there is a great deal of flexibility in the interpretation of the theme, and how the piece comes together.
While the exposure provided by participation is valuable to the selected artist, the program is so much more than that. Offering an experience to work with the TEDxFulbrightDublin curator from application through creation and display, this is a unique and truly valuable experience for an emerging artist.
Are you based locally? Do you seek innovative ways to engage with community? Do you have a passion for the avant-garde and exploration of ideas?
TEDxFulbrightDublin invites all local artists from a visual art medium to apply for our Artist Programme for our event.
This call is open to emerging artists who are training, have completed their training OR have demonstrated a body of work in their chosen field. The artist will be required to create two installations at the TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018. The content for the two installations can differ or be similar, as long as they are adaptable to the relevant spaces.
Applications will be reviewed and selected artists will be provided with further information in regards to the event on selection.
- 2018 Artist programme dates: 1 August 2018 – 9 September, 2018
- The event will take place at the Tivoli Theatre in Dublin 1, this a unique venue with street art jams held regularly in the yard. We recommend that applicants familiarise themselves with the venue https://www.tivoli.ie/gallery
- The works may be visual presentations or installations intended for a marquee area and the TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 Stage at the Tivoli Theatre Dublin
- As part of TEDxFulbrightDublin’s support of this project, the curatorial team will confirm content, budget, timeline and execution of the project with the successful artist/s (including measurements for installation spaces) after selection. The artist/s will also be brought on a site visit to the venue on 7 August to scope their project. Proposals may be adapted based on the outcome of these conversations.
- Applicants are responsible for transportation of their project to and from to the venue, any presentation equipment (easels, projectors, screens, etc) and for any expenses that fall beyond the expense limit as set for the program. The costs of the presentation/ installation should be considered in the budget under project and are the responsibility of the artist.
- Full expenses will be paid only when the artist has completed the project and participated in the event. Material costs can be covered in advance and must be outlined comprehensively in the budget
- Length of the project is just over 5 weeks, culminating at the TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 event. It is imperative that Projects can be completed within this period
- All applications will be considered. Individual application feedback will not be provided
- Please note that the programme does not include accommodation or studio space
- Successful artist/s may be asked to engage in meetings & social media regarding their work
- The artist is seen as an independent contractor and not a representative of TEDxFulbrightDublin, TED or its affiliates
- The Artist should be prepared to install or perform their creation at the event on their own. Where possible TEDxFulbrightDublin will provide technical or installation support
- A representative from TEDxFulbrightDublin will check in with the progress of the project prior to the event. Schedule of check-ins will be set on 1 August, 2018
- Eligible expenses include but are not limited to artistic materials, rental of equipment, rental of studio or rehearsal space, post production services. Artist fees are not eligible as an expense. Expenses outside this list must be approved by the program coordinator prior to expenditure. Artist will be asked to submit receipts for expenses and an expense report
- While we encourage a diversity of ideas and themes all projects must adhere to the TED organisational mandate. Projects should not endorse specific political, religious, or commercial endeavours or ideals.
Select artists will be contacted for further information.
Artist shall maintain ownership of creation at all times. TEDxFulbrightDublin retains the right to exhibit or present the creation at no fee during the TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 event including photography or videography showing the art.
To be eligible artist must have had training in their chosen field OR demonstrate a proven track record of creation in their field. All applicants must be aged over 18.
If you have used your installation idea for any other event in the past, please include details.
Artists working in the following disciples are invited to apply:
Video and media art
**TEDxFulbrightDublin welcomes great diversity in applicant’s background, projects, goals and discipline.
Applications are open to individuals or teams. Groups should assign a primary contact that will be responsible for the communications for the group, check-ins and final reporting. A single award of up to €1000 will be paid for the project regardless of the number of artists involved in the project.
Only one application per artist or team is required.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE PROVIDED WITH:
- Two tickets to the 2018 TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 event at the Tivoli Theatre Dublin
- Up to €1000 towards materials or expenses of the creation
- A TEDxFulbrightDublin liaison to support the creation and execution of the project at TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018 event
HOW TO APPLY
To apply you must email ALL of the below to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, 1 August 2018:
- Images / portfolio of previous artwork / installations
- Brief description of installation idea with sketch
- Paragraph on why your idea is a good fit for TEDxFulbrightDublin 2018
- Outline of budget – itemised where possible
- Suggested schedule for production and installation of artwork